On June 26, 2009, children from Pensacola, Niceville, Destin, and Santa Rosa Beach, descended upon Blue Mountain Beach for the” Blue Mountain Surf School”. The school is full day educational program that teaches beach and marine conservation…and of course surfing! Sign up for the July 17 surf school here.
(Update: Registration is now closed.Â Use our contact page to add your name to our cancellation list and/or to be informed of future classes! )
The SURF SCHOOL will be in session . Class size is limited to 12 students for each day. RESERVE YOUR SPOT TODAY! The cost is $60 per day.
Each student should bring a bathing suit, sunscreen, and lunch. Beverages will be provided throughout the day.
Wetsuits will be provided if needed (water temp is expected to be a comfortable 72 degrees, but could vary) .Â Surf School Rashguards will be provided during the session and available to purchase for an additional $25.
Our SURF SCHOOL is an educational program for children ages 6-12. The program is open to boys and girls who are good swimmers and love the beach.Â Designed to be way more than just a surfing lesson, your child will learn how waves are formed, whatÂ turtles eat, how to spot a rip-current and more….all while having a blast at the beach !
The SURF SCHOOL will provide age appropriate, hands-on, education in the following subject areas:
- Water Safety
- Marine Biology / Beach Ecology
- Science and Applied Physics
- Art, History and Culture of Surfing
- Hand Craftsmanship
- Sport Psychology and Physiology
- Surfing for Sport, Fitness, and Pleasure
The curriculum for each subject has been specifically created for SURF SCHOOL.Â The primary goals of SURF SCHOOL are to:
- Introduce children to the healthy and confidence inspiring sport of surfing.
- Foster a sense of personal stewardship regarding beach and marine resource management.
- Provide a safe and exciting opportunity for learning and creative expression.
- Explore the broad range of occupations and academic interests related to surfing, beach management, and the coastal community.
- Introduce aspects of historical, as well as, modern-day surf culture.
- Promote friendly, environmentally responsible, coastal community living.
With the exception of severe weather, this event will run rain-or-shine.Â In the event of complete calm seas, stand up paddle boarding may be substituted for surfing instruction.Â In the unlikely event of dangerous seas, water activity may beÂ canceled Â while land based activities proceed.Â In this case, Â alternative dates for group lessons will be offered and/or discounted rate individual lessons offered.
Blue Mountain Surf offers Kids Programs designed specifically for kids. Individual, group, and family adventures are available.